Saturday, January 8, 2011

Countdown to Israel: 9 Days!

My travel preparations are almost done... I've obtained my student visa and my airline tickets, ordered foreign currency, received my Israeli cell phone, and bought a heavy stack of travel guides to read on the plane. The only things left are to pack, book a hotel for my overnight stay in Newark, and find traveler's checks (for emergency back-up funds).

I've been communicating with a couple of professor's at school regarding the possibility of writing a thesis project in Jerusalem. With any luck, this will be one of my classes next semester (and it will be helpful for grad school applications)! Other classes to which I am looking forward: more Biblical and Modern Hebrew, Modern Study of the Second Temple Period...

Most important update of this post: I've managed to grow facial hair, which I have shaped into the chin-strap style. I like it, but my dad clearly does not. The only problem is that it doesn't connect to my side burns on one side. I'm giving it until the night before Jerusalem, and then I'll decide if I'm keeping it or not.

THINGS THAT I AM MOST EXCITED TO SEE IN JERUSALEM
(1) The Western Wall--the retaining wall of the Temple Mount, the hill upon which the First and Second Temples stood. Read this link about the Western Wall.

(2) The Israel Museum--Israel's national museum, which contains a ton of awesome exhibits. I am particularly excited to see two of them--the model of the Jerusalem during the Second Temple Period, and the Shrine of the Book (which houses the Dead Sea Scrolls). A picture of the Shrine of the Book is set as the background for this blog's title.

(3) Holy Week--this year, Passover and Easter nearly coincide, which means I''ll be busy--Easter Mass in the Holy Sepulchre, an authentic Passover seder. I'm most excited for the Greek Orthodox Miracle of the Holy Fire, which takes place on Holy Saturday. Read this link about Holy Fire .

I'll probably post once more before I go. Thanks to all my followers!

No comments:

Post a Comment