Monday, June 6, 2011

Lehitra'ot, Yerushalayim!

In about 45 minutes I am leaving for the airport, where--assuming I pass racist El Al security--I'll be making me way, after 4.5 long months, back to the U.S. Thanks to everyone who has been following my aliyah.

My semester went off ALMOST with a hitch... that is, until I lost my wallet on an Egged bus last week. Being money-less and identity-less (except for, Barukh Hashem, my passport), my final week in Jerusalem was considerably lamer than it should have been. So, in lieu of a few last pictures and a proper goodbye to my home-away-from-home, I've compiled the following list:

MY TEN FAVORITE THINGS ABOUT ISRAEL
-----------------------------------------------
10. The Dead Sea--who knew that the inhospitable waters could be so refreshing? Thanks for making me float like I never have before--and for making me rub dirt all over myself.
9. Fresh fruit juice--available from vendors everywhere, especially in the Old City. Pomegranate and orange juice are classics, but sometimes I went out on a limb and got mint lemonade. A wise choice.
8. Easter--despite the language barriers and near-death experiences, Easter was pretty much amazing, especially on the spot where it all happened. Only in Jerusalem.
7. The Galilee--Israel's beautiful northern country, home to both quiet biblical towns (Capernaum) and sprawling cities (Nazareth, Tiberias). Ours was most certainly a road trip to remember.
6. Qumran--of course, as a biblical studies person, I have to pay homage to mighty Qumran, the breathtaking spot on the Dead Sea in whose caves the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered. I never actually got the chance to do the full hike--but one day, I will return.
5. Hezekiah's Tunnel--wading through Hezekiah's Tunnel beneath the City of David is like wading through ancient history, made all the more awesome by the fact that Nick and Kyla both chickened out, and I completed the eerie underground water-tunnel all by myself. Take that, Neo-Assyrians.
4. Marzipan rugelach--words cannot describe the chocolatey deliciousness that is God's greatest gift to mankind (besides, maybe, numbers 1-3), especially when eaten three-at-a-time. Oh rugelach, how I will miss you.
3. Chummus Lina--hands-down the most delicious restaurant in the whole Old City. My Hebrew teacher aptly called the chummus a "religious experience." I can think of no higher praise.
2. My classes--yes, I am a nerd, but seriously, my classes this semester were the best I've ever taken, and I had the amazing opportunity to study under some of the world's top experts. So here's to you, Mesopotamian Astronomy, Second Temple Period Historiography, and the Book of Leviticus!
1. חברים שלי--in English, "my friends." I have no doubt that my semester abroad would have been half as much fun if it hadn't been for the all of the amazing people I met, especially Dana, Shiri, Andrea, Brittany, Zach, and my roommate Alex. You all rock, and I miss you much-ly already. DISNEYLAND REUNION?!?!?!

Lehitra'ot, Yerushalayim!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE and agreed (with the exception of Chummus Lina...REALLY!?!?!?? I mean it's good and all but unnamed Chummus is better and deserves a shoutout).

    I miss you codester!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I not read this until now!? ahhh you guys are the best. Reunion in SF?

    ReplyDelete